In this week’s top stories: PowerBeats have a release date, iOS 13 comes with big changes, EU launching probe for Apple, new TechCast episode.
Apple this week reported its Q2 2019 earnings, announcing $58 billion revenue and $11.56 billion profit. Here’s how that revenue broke down by category:
- $31.05 billion iPhone
- $11.45 billion: Services
- $5.51 billion: Mac
- $5.13 billion: Wearables, Home and Accessories
- $4.87 billion: iPad
Apple’s highly-anticipated truly wireless Powerbeats Pro got a release date this week. After being announced last month, Beats this week opened pre-orders for Powerbeats Pro on Friday, with a full release slated for May 10th. The all-new Beats earphones are powered by the same Apple H1 chip as AirPods 2, work with ‘Hey Siri’, and have sporty features including longer battery life and physical playback controls.
AAPL beat expectations across the board this quarter thanks to strong performance from Wearables, as well as continued growth from Services. The company inched closer to a $1 trillion valuation, though a change in the number of outstanding shares makes that milestone slightly harder to hit.
According to Bloomberg’s report, Apple will include some new features and changes in the Reminders app, updates to iMessages and Apple Books, frequent locations options in Maps and more. Apple Watch itself, will get a new calculator, (audio)Books, and Voice Memos apps as well as adding an on-device App Store so users can download apps directly from the Apple Watch.
For iOS 13, Apple will focus, as always, on performance and speed improvements according to Bloomberg. New animation tweaks and a “cleaner look” will come along for the widgets screen. However, iOS 13 won’t be just a speed and performance update.
iOS | macOS | tvOS | watchOS |
- iOS 13 revamps Health and Reminders, watchOS 6 adds Calculator, Voice Memos, Books and Apple Store apps
- Apple releasing fourth iOS 12.3 developer beta today
Mac + iPad |
- Messenger coming to Mac later this year
- macOS coming update may inlcude Screen Time new display feature
- Apple Store is down as iPad and iMac updates rumored
- Facebook shows major updates to design both on iOS and Android with Dark Mode for web, Instagram getting new “Create Mode”
- Spotify is first to hit 100 million subscribers
- EU is launching formal competition search into Apple over Spotify’s complaints
Listen to this week’s TechCast #1|
TechCast by TechDomes involves everything about technology and how it affects our lives. Having to do with the latest smartphone reveals, gaming news, updates and reviews.
Subscribe to TechDomes LetterBox |
Also Read on TechDomes
- Apple premieres TV+ show Dickinson at Tribeca Festival
- The 5 biggest announcements from the latest Final Fantasy 14 livestream
- YouTube Music Charts launches in India
- New Google Pixel 4 XL leaked photos reaffirm key specs
- Kuo: iPhone 11 demands are higher than expected