How to Change Password in Windows with CMD
How to Change Password in Windows 10 with CMD
This TechNews teaches you how to change a PC’s Password from an administrator account by using Command Prompt. If you do not have access to your Computer administrator you cannot change the password. For Mac Computers, you can reset the Computer’s Password using the terminal.
1. Open Your PC’s Start menu. You can do this by clicking the Windows logo in the lower-left window of the screen or by pressing the Win key on your keyboard. The Start menu will open in the “Search” field with your “Mouse cursor”.
2. Type Command Prompt in the “search” field. This will search your Computer for the Command Prompt application. You will see it Popup at the top of the Search menu.
3. Right-click the command prompt. It is similar to a black box; Right click it will call a drop-down menu.
- If you use Windows XP, you can type in the run window.
4. Click run as administrator. It’s near the top of the drop-down menu. In this way, the command prompt will be opened with administrative privileges.
5. Type net user at the command prompt. Make sure you include the space between the two words. Press Enter. Doing this will display a list of all user accounts registered to your Computer.
- Find the name of the account you want to edit. If you change your account password, then it will be below the “Administrator” on the left side of the command prompt window; Otherwise, the name may be on the right of the title “Guest“.
6. Type net user [name] * into Command Prompt. You will replace the [name] name of the account for the replacement, for which you want to change the password.
- When you type the name of the account, you must do exactly as it appears in the account name section of the command prompt.
7. Press Enter. This will execute your command; You will see a new line written: “Type a password for the user”.
- Instead, you see a group of lines that begin with “Syntax of this command:”, for administrator account, net user administrator * or a net user guest * for the guest account.
8. Type a new password. You move the cursor while doing it, so be careful not to accidentally hit the accident caps lock key.
9. Press Enter. You will be encouraged to re-enter your password.
10. Re-type your password. It will not appear while typing again, so take your time.
- Press Enter. As long as two-word entries match each other, you will see “Password done successfully” below the second password entry. The next time you try to log in to your PC, you need to enter your updated password to continue.
Hope You Like How to Change Password in Windows with CMD